Impacted lower 8

Home Forums Impacted Teeth Impacted lower 8

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Morvarid Zebaradami Sun Jun 23, 2019 05:55 pm.

• Creator
    Topic

Morvarid Zebaradami
    Participant

Hi Dr. Reznick,

I am planning to extract tooth # 17.
    I was wondering would it be easier to section the crown off from the root first and then try to take out the root? Or is it better to section the tooth in half and take out distal part first than mesial part of the toorh?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Morvarid Zebaradami
    Participant

In this Panoramic I section the crown off from the root.

Morvarid Zebaradami
    Participant

Uploaded the panoramic

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Dr. Jay Reznick
    Keymaster

Dr. Z-

That is a fairly common impaction. The best way to approach this, after laying a flap to give you good visualization of the surgical site, is to remove bone to fully expose the crown of the tooth and then create a trough on the buccal and distobuccal to give a purchase point for your elevator and some extra room for the tooth to move. Then, section the tooth mesiodistally from the crown to just fast the furcation. Section the tooth and deliver the distal half first. That should give enough room to elevate the mesial half. Be sure to thoroughly curette out the site and smooth the bone edges and irrigate before you suture.

This video shows the technique: CLICK HERE

Morvarid Zebaradami
    Participant

Thank you Dr. Reznick for your detailed response. Your advice was very helpful.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.