Frenectomy

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jay Reznick Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:03 pm.

• Creator
    Topic

Gary Davies

Dear Dr R,

Do you have any videos on upper labial (maxillary) frenectomy using a scapel as opposed to a laser ? With a scalpel do you typically take it down to bone transversely to section the connective tissue fibres?

Kind Regards
    Gary

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Gary Davies

Dear Dr R,

May I ask how you remove excess hyper plastic tissue beneath an old denture ?
    I am currently using a soft diode laser (approx 1.8W) which seems to take an age at times, I would like to speed up the process for my patients whilst maintaining intra and post op comfort. Any thoughts ?
    Kind Regards
    Gary

Dr. Jay Reznick
    Keymaster

Gary-
    There are a number of different techniques that are used for scalpel labial frenectomy, depending on how thick the fibrous attachment is. For a case with a thin fibrous band, a simple excision of the frenum can be used. If the fibrous band is thick, a Z-plasty is associated with much less relapse. in both cases, you want to excise down to bone in the interdental area and use a periosteal elevator to undermine the attachment of the fibrous tissue.

I use cautery in the cut/coag mode to remove excess tissue (epulis fissuratum) from around the denture flange. Be sure to send it off for biopsy. Sometimes, you will need to deepen the vestibule with a skin graft vestiobuloplasty so that the excess tissue does not redevelop.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.