Coronectomy

Home Forums Impacted Teeth Coronectomy

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jay Reznick Thu Apr 13, 2017 09:49 am.

• Creator
    Topic

Gary Davies

Dear Dr R,

what are your thoughts on coronectomy for 3rd molars in intimate association with the IAD nerve?
    Kind Regards
    Gary (New Zealand)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dr. Jay Reznick
    Keymaster

Gary-
    I am not a big fan of coronectomy. I have had to manage a number of severe infections of roots that were left after a coronectomy. With the availability of CBCT, we can very accurately evaluate the position of the IAN and its relationship to the 3rd molar roots. Using this tool, I have been able to successfully remove many 3rd molars that were recommended for coronectomy by other surgeons.
    Knowing the exact anatomy is the key to a successful outcome.

Rob Mikhli
    Participant

Is your approach different when a root tip is in contact with the IAN?
    If so, how?

Dr. Jay Reznick
    Keymaster

Rob- my feeling is that with the use of CBCT to evaluate the patient’s anatomy, we know exactly where the IAN is in relationship to the root apices, and so we can plan our surgery to avoid trauma to the nerve.

Rob Mikhli
    Participant

Thank you for the reply.
    How would you approach a case like the one attached? Anything different?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Douglas Smail

I agree with Jay’s comments on knowing where the nerve is with CBCT, and avoiding coronectomy when possible.
    One big exception for me is the ankylosed root. I’ll tell the patient that a coronectomy is possible, and we begin surgery.
    I’ll section and remove the crown, and evaluate the roots. If the roots are completely ankylosed, which is uncommon but happens, then there is no way I’m going to get those roots out without significant trauma to the area. I’ll complete the coronectomy, graft the defect, and close up. If the roots are ankylosed, I have had no healing issues post op, since the roots are essentially already turning into bone.

Dr. Jay Reznick
    Keymaster

Thanks for your comments Doug. So far, I have not had a case where the roots were so ankylosed that I elected to leave them (at least for an impacted 3rd molar). Grafting and closing the site should certainly help healing and minimize the risk of the roots becoming infected.
    CBCT is a great tool to preoperatively assess whether the roots are fused to the alveolar bone. The other is clinical suspicion and experience.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.